Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Small Meal Challenge.

I've replaced the weekly weight counter on the right tab of my blog with the "Small Meal Challenge". I'm trying to eat five meals of 300 calories a piece everyday, which would have me eating about once every three hours. It's rather difficult for me to do this, I'm not used to controlling when I eat so rigorously, and I'm definitely a no breakfast (sometimes even no lunch) and a large dinner kind of person. Which is horrible for my metabolism. It thinks I'm starving all day and then stores that huge late meal as fat. In my thighs.

I've heard this small meal method is very effective: to eat in small portions throughout the day, tiny meals that always include some fat, some protein, and some carbohydrate. It's easier for your body to break it down and your metabolism is optimized.

I am also, still, OVER the scale. I made a deal with myself. When I go down a size, I can weigh myself. And I really won't until then.

Exercise is still a gray area. I haven't been doing formal exercise, which is a problem. I justify not going to the gym, because I am forced to walk every where I go in Boston. It doesn't feel like as much daily exercise as it did 6 months ago, probably because my body has adjusted to the activity level.

So running. Ugh, maybe. Elliptical trainer. Yeah. I can work back up to running. I have this vision of myself running outside once it's nice, but man, I need work before that. So running. I also ordered a Pilates DVD, which I am very excited about it. If I like it, I'll review it.

Ok. Enough for today.

9 comments:

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

I really think it is great to eat every few hours. Not just because I get to eat so often but it helps keep me from binging. It seems like if I get really really hungry there is no stopping me if I see food. So I make sure I eat my three meals a day and healthy snacks in between.
I also need to work on the exercise thing. My goal was to work out 4 days this week and I haven't worked out at all and I only have one day left before weigh in. For some reason I keep putting it off.
Running sounds great. i hope someday I can work up to that.

Vee said...

I try hard to eat three main meals and 2-3 snacks a day, but sometimes, like today, I get to working and forget to eat. It's almost 10 here and I still haven't eaten anything. Remember that your meals don't have to actually have all the food groups: an apple with peanut butter, or cheese with nuts would work.

It's so weird... if I don't eat breakfast, I can hold off the cravings. If I eat a decent breakfast, I'm good for the day to stay on track. If I eat junk for breakfast, the day is shot.

I'm weird. Vee at www.veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I think its great to eat after every two three hours for lean person. But I am too fatty to do it. Being a big eater I always eat 4-5 times a day. Then I came to know the Diet Pills and it change me. Now I am ok with my weight.

Unknown said...

I also need to work on the exercise thing. My goal was to work out 4 days this week and I haven't worked out at all and I only have one day left before weigh in. For some reason I keep putting it off.Running sounds great. i hope someday I can work up to that.

http://www.oneweekdietdirect.com/

jane said...

I feel like I was the person I used to be and I hope it stays with me.Xenical pills from shoppillrx worked perfect for me.One of my co-workers noticed the difference...When I got back, I felt a renewed sense of optimism and a strong desire to make up for lost time.
www.shoppillrx.com

Unknown said...

You can also try Janet Jackson's Morsel Diet which consists of a small portion of the basic food that her meal is supposed to have. I call my kind a buffet plate because it's what my plate looks like whenever I'm with overeating friends at a buffet line. They would always joke at me for not eating the buffet worth because my plate wasn't filled as theirs. I just naturally eat that way because I suffer from stomach ache whenever I overeat. I think they call it sh*tt*ng... for lack of a better word.

Unknown said...

You are right that it is good to eat in every 3 or 4 hours instead of heavy meal twice a day. I am eating in every 3 hours now a days and also taking phentermine as my diet pill. I am feeling better and my problems for weight are almost gone.

Heidi said...

I am so excited I can contribute good news and say something positive. You have to check out: www.chicagohcgmedical.com
After the last 3 months or so, I feel as if I understand why I struggled with weight my entire life. We are all different and our bodies, family history and other factors play a huge role in how and where our bodies store fat.

I started a program in September, with Doctor oversight, that really worked. I have lost over 60 pounds of fat without harming my healthy tissue (muscle) since starting. I feel as if I discovered a secret cure to weight gain.

It may help you, too. You can learn more, and even see testimonials from others this has worked for www.chicagohcgmedical.com. I wish you the best of luck.

Thomas S. Moore said...

Waist Hips and Thighs

its the small thing that make the biggest difference sometimes.